The Contact Lens Manufacturers Association (CLMA), organized in 1961, is made up of contact lens laboratories and material, solution and equipment manufacturers in the United States and abroad.
The mission of the CLMA is to increase awareness and utilization of custom manufactured contact lenses.
The CLMA has built a solid record of success in its work to strengthen its members’ impact on the shaping of vital national policies, laws and regulations that affect the contact lens industry.
CLMA draws its strength and effectiveness from the very active direct participation of each of its member companies and from a small but thoroughly professional staff.
CLMA maintains that each member has a pivotal say in everything CLMA does. CLMA consistently succeeds because the combined voice and resources of its members assure its ability to accomplish what no single member could accomplish alone.
The Objectives of the CLMA
EDUCATE eye care professionals, the public and the industry about contact lens technology, features and benefits.
INITIATE and support legislation beneficial to CLMA membership, practitioners and patients.
SPONSOR and support research and development of quality contact lens materials.
SUGGEST and promote industry manufacturing standards.
PARTICIPATE in seminars, conferences and congresses dealing with eye health care.
PROMOTE the contact lens industry.
Code of Ethics
Each member of CLMA agrees it will be their policy to abide by the following Code of Ethics:
- To design and manufacture products of good quality that serves the needs of practitioners and their patients.
- To present qualifications consistent with integrity and the highest standards of our industry, and to scrupulously avoid any false, misleading and deceptive statement or advertising with respect to quality, construction or performance of products.
- To support and promote high standards of inspection, sampling, analysis, data, testing and consultation.
- To collect and disseminate information regarding contact lenses and accessories to the public (for the betterment of public health).
- To sponsor and promulgate research related to contact lenses and accessories in hospitals, clinics, colleges and universities and among other persons or institutions.
- To meet all applicable state, FDA and other national government regulations as related to the industry.